Last Updated on March 1, 2021 by Daniel
The various items used in playing golf is the golf equipment. However, the golf club and a golf ball are the most important golf equipment a golfer needs. Different types of golf club equipment are specialized for different shots. The golf ball, on the other hand, is of different types based on their construction or materials used.
Golf Club Equipment
A golf club is a pie of golf equipment used to hit the golf ball. Each club is composed of a shaft with a grip and a club head. A standard set consists of 14 golf clubs, and players are free to use any combination of 14 or less as the case may be. Another important variation in clubs is a loft or the angle between the club’s face and the vertical plane. Most importantly, there are three major types of clubs, known as woods, irons, and putters.
Types of Golf Clubs
- Woods: As the name implies, they’re sometimes made out of wood with a big head and are played for long shots. They tend to have less accuracy and are harder to hit than irons, but they will hit the ball further.
- Irons: made out of metal, Irons are clubs with a flatter head and tend to be more accurate allowing the golfer to have more control over the distance, spin, and direction of the ball.
- Putters: The putter is a club with a flat face used to roll the ball. They are mostly played on the green, but can also be useful when playing from bunkers or for some approach shots. In addition, they have minimal loft, forcing the ball to stay on the putting surface when struck.
- Wedges: Wedges are irons used to play shorter shots. Also, they are played from difficult ground such as sand or the rough and for approach shots to the green.
- Hybrid Club: The hybrid is a new type of club that combines the straight-hitting characteristics of irons with the easy-to-hit characteristics of higher-lofted woods. A hybrid is often used for long shots from difficult rough. Hybrids are also used by players who have a hard time getting the ball airborne with long irons.
Golf Ball Equipment
According to golf rules, golf balls must have a minimum diameter of 1.68 inches and a weight of 1.62 ounces. The characteristics of the ball when a hit is usually defined by the material used to construct the ball. A harder ball will travel further, but a softer ball will allow the golfer more control over spin and distance.
Other Golf Equipment
- Golf bag: Golf bags are used for transporting golf clubs they also have several pockets designed for carrying various equipment and supplies required over the course of a round of golf.
- Golf cart: Golf carts are vehicles used to transport golf bags and golfers along the golf course during a round of golf.
- Golf Gloves: Gloves are worn to help grip the club and to prevent blistering.
- Rangefinders: It allows a golfer to measure the exact distance to the hole from their current position.
- Towels: They are used to wipe hands, clean or dry balls and also to clean club faces.
What are the most essential golf clubs?
A full set club should include:
- A Driver.
- 3 Wood.
- 3 Hybrid.
- 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 Golf Irons.
- Pitching Wedge.
- Sand Wedge.
- And a Putter.