Last Updated on November 1, 2023 by Daniel
The PGA Championship is one of the most prestigious golf tournaments in the world, attracting the best golfers from around the globe to compete for the title. Here are some interesting facts about the PGA Championship:
10 Interesting Facts About Golf PGA Championship.
- The PGA Championship is the oldest of the four major golf championships in the world, having first been played in 1916.
- The tournament is organized by the Professional Golfers’ Association of America (PGA of America) and is played annually in August.
- The tournament has been played at some of the most iconic golf courses in the world, including Augusta National Golf Club, Bethpage Black, and TPC Sawgrass.
- The winner of the PGA Championship is awarded a green jacket, similar to the one awarded to the winner of the Masters.
- The tournament has a strong tradition of hosting the best golfers in the world, with past champions including Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Jack Nicklaus, and Arnold Palmer.
- The tournament is also notable for its format, which is a stroke play format where the player with the lowest score over 72 holes has crowned the winner.
- The tournament has a rich history of memorable moments, including Phil Mickelson’s dramatic win in 2005, which saw him hole a bunker shot on the final hole to secure the victory.
- The PGA Championship has also been the site of some of the greatest moments in golf history, including Tiger Woods’ dominant performance in 2000, where he won by a record-breaking margin of 15 strokes.
- The tournament has a significant impact on the careers of golfers, with the winner automatically qualifying for the other three major championships, including the Masters, U.S. Open, and The Open.
- The PGA Championship also has a strong tradition of giving back to the community, with proceeds from the tournament going towards supporting the growth of the game of golf and helping golfers in need.
In conclusion, the PGA Championship is a tournament that has a rich history and tradition in the world of golf. It is a true test of skill for golfers, and a chance for fans to witness some of the greatest moments in the sport. The tournament continues to be one of the most highly anticipated events on the golf calendar and is a true showcase of the best that golf has to offer. Whether you are a seasoned fan or just starting to follow the game, the PGA Championship is a tournament that you don’t want to miss.